Traffic is as bad in Manila as they say it is and drivers are crazy compared to home, but it’s kind of fun.
- Lanes are just guidelines (the picture does not accurately portray this, but I swear it’s true)
- Honking means, I’m going, I will be passing you, move faster, don’t go and probably more things.
- Pedestrians do not have right of way, you can see the fear in their eyes as they cross the street.
- If someone is adhering to a red left turn signal you can pass them on the right, get ahead of them, and turn whenever the traffic is clear.
- When in doubt, make a U turn.
- If the road is clear, gun it! 30mph will feel like 100mph.
- Only leave space between you and the car in front of you if you want everyone to weave around in that space.
- If you need to cross over 4 “lanes” to make an exit or turn, that’s fine.
- Jeepnys and mopeds do what they want.
- You can drive on the “wrong side” of the road if you really need to.
Now, today was my first day actually getting behind a wheel, so I will probably learn more rules in the coming weeks. I took it easy and drove Mark to work then drove myself home. I didn’t die or crash, so I would call it a success. Also, apparently there is a loop for Christmas, I will have to investigate what this means.